bed breakfast kent
bed breakfast kent, ashford international station kent, bed breakfast motel, best weston, holiday inn, inns, travel lodge kent, lodges, bed breakfast lodgings, guest house kent, hotel, accommodation, acommodation, accomodation, acomodation
Also known as the Chestnuts, these remnants of stones on a hill would form more of an oval than a circle. There were probably originally 20 in number and just north west of these was another heap of 6 large stones.
Kits Coty is an unusual site. Itís construction is the normal box-like form, however, it also had an earth mound built over the top of the chamber, forming a 60 metre long barrow and this was circled by a ring of stones. Today only the uprights are left.
Also known by other names: the Countless Stones or The Numbers. These are the remains of a burial chamber once covered by earth mounds known as barrows.
A single standing stone near Blue Bell Hill, the remaining fragment of a probable burial site. The stone has some holes that appear naturally in sandstone giving the suggestion of a face.
South of Kits Coty and west of the Countless Stones, are two groups of stones. The first, is a series of circles in and around the banks of a stream. These may be have occurred through random natural formation, eroded by water and weather over the years, or it has been proposed, they may be for water worship, laying as they do at the source of this stream. The second is a huge isolated stone, known as the Coffin Stone due to itís shape and measures nearly 5 metres long, nearly 2.5 metres wide and over Ĺ metre thick.
Coldrum at Trottiscliffe one of the finest Neolithic megaliths in the county. Orignally a long mound running east to west, with burial chamber. The mound now gone and leaving 4 sarsen stones of the burial chamber and a scattering of other stones around. The burial chamber held 22 skeletons and must have been about 48 metres in circumference
Since the 13th century, the windmill has played an important role in the agricultural landscape of the county and apart from East Anglia and Lincoln, we probably had more working windmills than any other county.
The area around Rochester had the most mills and at it's peak, which was around 1870, there were over 40 working windmills. However, from this point on, there was a gradual decline and by 1883, there were 29 mills and by 1930 only one survived.
The windmiller's trade across the county continued to decline and by 1930, there were only 14 mills working under sail, with a handful more using mechanical power. Since the 1960's many of the mills have been rescued and restored and are in the hands of Kent County Council, Windmills Trusts or some are privately owned.
In 1930, a national survey was undertaken by The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings and this survey was published in a series of books, entitled "English Windmills".
Chillenden Mill is a post and open trestle mill, built around 1868. It has four single-shuttered sails and a tailpole resting on a wheel. It was never fitted with a fantail and would have been turned manually with its long tail pole.
Only one of four post mills and the last of this design to be built.
In 1927, it had two sails renewed. It remained in use until 1949. It was acquired by Kent County Council in 1958 and is now a Grade II listed building and looked after by the Chillenden Mill Group.
Built in 1814 by Humphreys, one of the county's millwrights, for Henry Dobell, this large octagonal smock mill stands on a three-storied brick base with a gallery 10 metres from the ground. Nearly 22 metres high, it has four double-shuttered patent sails, a fan, seven pairs of stones, and by 1930 it also had a gas engine.
The mill was bought by the Russell family in 1832 and became known as Russell Union Mill. In 1930 it was worked all year round, grinding flour and pig grist, but in spite of its good trade, the owner said at the time, that when all expenses were paid he only made a profit of a few shillings a year. This was a typical example of the economic state of the windmill trade at this time.
Kent County Council acquired the mill in 1961 and it is still in full working order and looked after by the Cranbrook Windmill Association.