holiday accommodation kent
holiday accommodation kent, ashford international station, motel holiday accommodation, best weston kent, inn, inns, travel lodge kent, lodges, lodgings, guest house, bed & breakfast, holiday accommodation kent
A smock mill on a brickbase. By 1930 the sails and fan had gone although the building was reported as being in good condition. During the 20th century it had been converted to a residence and the sails and fan have been returned to the building.
Chillenden Mill is a post and open trestle mill, built around 1868. It has four single-shuttered sails and a tailpole resting on a wheel. It was never fitted with a fantail and would have been turned manually with its long tail pole. Only one of four post mills and the last of this design to be built. In 1927, it had two sails renewed. It remained in use until 1949. It was acquired by Kent County Council in 1958 and is now a Grade II listed building and looked after by the Chillenden Mill Group.
Built in 1814 by Humphreys, one of the county's millwrights, for Henry Dobell, this large octagonal smock mill stands on a three-storied brick base with a gallery 10 metres from the ground. Nearly 22 metres high, it has four double-shuttered patent sails, a fan, seven pairs of stones, and by 1930 it also had a gas engine. The mill was bought by the Russell family in 1832 and became known as Russell Union Mill. In 1930 it was worked all year round, grinding flour and pig grist, but in spite of its good trade, the owner said at the time, that when all expenses were paid he only made a profit of a few shillings a year. This was a typical example of the economic state of the windmill trade at this time. Kent County Council acquired the mill in 1961 and it is still in full working order and looked after by the Cranbrook Windmill Association.
An octagonal smock mill on a brick base with a stage, built in 1845, on the site of an earlier mill. Worked by wind until 1916 when a gas engine was installed and its sails and fan removed. It continued until 1933. The County Council acquired it in 1968 when it was in a dilapidated condition it has since been restored and working. It is now a Grade II listed building in the care of The Draper Mill Trust.
Built around 1780, Herne is a large octagonal smock mill. In 1856 two stories of brick work were built to raise the wooden building. It had a fantail winding gear. In the 1930s, two of the four sails were taken down as they had become unsafe, although the mill was otherwise in good condition and continued to work. It finished working as a mill in 1980 and was acquired by the County Council in 1985. It was restored to working order in 1986 and could be seen complete with its sweeps and stocks which were later removed. It is now a Grade I listed building and is in the care of the Friends of Herne Mill.
This Smock mill was omitted from the 1930 survey, although built in 1821. Kent County Council acquired in 1959. The machinery is complete though not in working order. It is now a listed Grade II building and in the care of Meopham Mill Trust.
Rolvenden is a post mill with two sweeps and a tailpole. Built around 1772 it originally had four common sweeps. The wooden round-house was pulled down during World War I and used for firewood. The name 'Allen 1828' was cut on the centre post, this is likely to be the of one of it's millers. The mill continued to work by wind until 1885 when the building gradually deteriorated. It was restored in 1956.
Built in 1760, The White Mill can probably lay claim to being the oldest existing mill in Kent. It is an octagonal smock mill, which was covered in sheeting on a brick base with a stage. When this photograph was taken it had recently lost two sweeps and only the stocks of the other two remained, and the fan had also gone. However, it did have its original wooden machinery and the mill has since been restored.